Physical Education (PE)
PE is a compulsory part of the curriculum and the recommendation is that no less than two hours of PE is taught each week to children of statutory school age.
- To ensure that the Sports and PE premium is used to enhance the quality of provision of school-based sports and physical education.
- To support the Chief Medical Officer’s recommendation that children access on average, 30 mins of physical exercise each day in school.
- To provide children with skills that will support them to participate in, and enjoy, sports and physical exercise now and in their adult lives.
- To improve the physical health of children.
- To teach children the skills/knowledge they need to apply to a range of different sports and activities.
At Hillside Infant School our PE curriculum is varied and long-term plans ensure that we meet the requirements of The EYFS and National Curriculum. Our PE Curriculum is sequenced to ensure progression of knowledge and skills throughout a child’s time at Hillside Infant School, enabling children to build upon prior experiences and apply these with confidence. There is a variety of knowledge and skills that is taught including dance, gymnastics, athletics and games.
All children have a weekly PE lesson with their class teacher, Reception and KS1 children also have a weekly session with a qualified coach from The Elms. In EYFS, the children build physical development into their outdoor learning sessions.
We have well equipped playgrounds, 1 trim trail, a range of playtime equipment, one outdoor learning area specifically for Nursery and one outdoor learning area specifically for Reception which includes an adventure playground. Both EYFS outdoor learning areas contain equipment to develop and improve the fundamental skills of the children using various body parts.
An annual sports day is held in July for children to apply the skills they have learnt throughout the year.
PE Community links
Hillside Infant School have worked closely with the following PE and Sport Companies
Northwood Town Cricket Club
Middlesex Cricket Club provide a range of Cricket sessions on behalf of Northwood Town Cricket club for our Year 1 and Year 2 children.
Stomp Dance and sports
Louise and her team coach Street Dance and cheerleading at Hillside Infant School.
The Elms sport in Schools
The Elms are our PE provider.
They also offer Extra-curricular after school clubs for our children throughout the academic year. If you would like to know more please contact the school office.